What is a Section 8 Voucher?

The Housing Choice Voucher Program assists families with rent in the private market. The voucher program is funded through the Department of Housing and Urban Development and is a voucher for a participant to receive monthly rental assistance paid directly to a private owner landlord on their behalf.  The participant has choice of where and what type of unit within the county that they wish to rent and will execute a lease with the private owner. Their portion of the rent will be paid directly to the private owner.  The HA will pay the remainder of the rent directly to the owner each month. 

How do I apply for the Voucher Program?

Call or visit our office, No appointment is necessary.
Complete your application at our offices or pick one up and return it to us after completed.

You will need to provide:

  1. Verification of all household incomes – Wages, Social Security or SSI letter, Child Support, Pension, etc.

  2. Verification of Assets – Savings & Checking Accounts (2 month bank statement), CD, IRA, Whole Life Insurance

    Policy, Property Deed & Taxes, etc.,

  3. Social Security cards for all family members

  4. Photo identification for all adult family members

  5. Birth certificates for all family members (if available)

  6. Current and previous landlord name & address

  7. Previous subsidized housing history

  8. Military Form DD-214 (if applicable)

  9. Alternate Contact

You may print this application worksheet for your own convenience, However it is not a complete application, you will need to call or visit our office for a complete application.

How long is the wait for a Voucher?

There is a waiting list for assistance. Applicants are screened and eligible applicants are placed on the waiting list according to time and date of the application. The wait list varies, and it is impossible to give an amount of time.

How much rent will I pay for a rental unit?

The rent a family will pay for a rental unit is based on 30% of the family's total adjusted annual income.

Can I get help immediately if I already live where the landlord takes Vouchers?

No, to be able to receive any kind of rental assistance, you must go through the application process.

How do I submit changes to my household, income, address or phone number?

All changes must be submitted In Writing to the Housing Authority office.

JCHA is an Equal Housing Agency

Send mail to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. with questions or comments about this web site.